Internationale Christian Endeavour gebedsweek 2010
31 januari – 7 februari 2010
Gebed is het ademen van de ziel en het is – volgens Maarten Luther – de natuurlijke bezigheid van een christen. Daarom beloven we in de EC verklaring dat “we het tot onze leefregel willen maken om dagelijks te bidden en de Bijbel te lezen”. Het bestuur van de WCEU (World’s Christian Endeavour Union) beveelt van harte een gebedseek aan in alle mogelijke CE kringen, in de eerste week van februari. Bestuursleden Thorsten Riewesell en Tim Eldred hebben een programma samengesteld met gebedsonderwerpen voor die bijeenkomsten (zie hieronder) en nodigen iedereen uit om, met verenigde handen, over de hele wereld te bidden voor elkaar en de behoeften van anderen. Vergeet vooral ook niet onze grote Heer te loven en te danken. Natuurlijk kun je de gebedsbijeenkomsten zo organiseren zoals het het beste past bij je plaatselijke situatie. Kom bij elkaar in de morgen of avond, in kleine of grote groepen, kom één, meerdere of alle dagen bij elkaar – maar laten we bidden en wachten op onze Heer om de harten en handen te bewegen voor de groei van Zijn Koninkrijk.
Hier volgt het schema:
?I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone ? for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God an d human beings, Christ Jesus, himself human, who gave himself as a ransom for all people.?
1 Timothy 2:1-6
First of all ? prayer! What has priority in your life? What comes first? Honestly, prayer is very often not the first thing I`m thinking about. There are so many other things to do and to care for. But Paul urges Timothy to keep his eyes on a close connection to God and to lay everything before him. Sharing with Him all of my sorrows, all of my happiness.
Today, we pray for our ?kings? and all those in authority in our countries. Pray that they can lead your country in God-given wisdom and power, with love and hope for all the people relying on their decisions. Pray for the ecological and economical crisis, for good solutions, and that the politicians may discover that there is a God behind the scenes.
The tragedy of Haiti is still in our minds. Please pray for this poor country and for all who lost a loved person during the earthquake. Let us pray for all the helping and supporting organizations and people, let us pray for the churches and all Christians in Haiti.
Please pray especially for CE in Africa
- general: for those unions and groups who live among a majority of Muslims;
- for better understanding, how CE can exist within a church.
- for leaders who are able to share power and build up coming leaders.
- Senegal: Churches of CE friends were closed in the Beginning of Ramadan, because ?they make too much noise singing?
- Niger : That the national leaders make up their mind and decide a way how to introduce CE in their churches.
- Mali: For the two interested pastors to get courage and start a CE group
- Gambia: Thank God for the big group of endeavorers, their bold programs to reach out to non believers and their monthly prayer nights.
- Nigeria: That the existing CE friends start CE groups in their churches.
- Sierra Leone, Liberia: For people who are able to rebuild CE after the civil wars.
- Ivory Coast: for the social projects and courses run by the leaders, for better understanding the CE-idea so that they will initiate groups for young people.
- South Africa: Thank god for this new start, ask for encouragement to reach out beyond the limits of their church.
- Malawi: More initiative for the leaders and more regular activities for the endeavourers.
- East Africa: For the individuals there who are interested in CE and try to build local CE societies.
- Egypt, Sudan: For a revival of CE activities and contact with the World’s Union
?Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.?
Paul is in chains, but free to proclaim the gospel. His message to the Colossians is simple and strong. First of all, devote yourselves to prayer. Prayer is the key to open the door for the message and to be wise and graceful in conversations with those who don`t know Christ by now. Let us watchfully and thankfully pray, let our CE prayers open the doors to tell the message to all the people around us. Let us especially pray for all the evangelistic approaches we have in our national CE unions. May our words and lifestyle reflect the love and hope we have in our Lord, Jesus Christ.
Please pray especially for CE in Australia & Pacific Islands
- Marshall Islands: for necessary innovation of CE in a conservative society challenged by strong Western influence.
- Micronesia: for new life in the CE Union of the Islands.
- Solomon Islands: We thank God for a new initiative and the effective leadership of Derek Pongi.
- Papua New Guinea: For encouragement for the national leaders and zeal to reach out to young people through Christian Endeavor.
- Tonga: For a better understanding of the CE concept by the youth leaders and the responsible church officers.
- Samoa and American Samoa: for coping with the damage done by the tsunami last year, for a concept of how young people can be put into more responsibility within the strict hierarchical Samoan society.
- New Zealand: for plans to form a New Zealand Union out of the CE societies in the Samoan Churches
- Australia: for their young President J. Gilfillan, for camp activities in South Australia, for the many CE-oldtimers that they know how best to support the activities for the youth to build up CE Australia again.
?They devoted themselves to the apostle?s teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common.?
Today, we celebrate the 129th birthday of Christian Endeavour. It?s amazing how it all started with Rev. Francis Clark and 57 young people, founding the first CE society. This tiny little start was the seed for a big CE tree growing strong and worldwide. In our bible passage for today, we are reminded how the church started, when God gave his spirit to the people. The believers came together to listen to the teachings, to break bread remembering the cross, and to love and pray. It always amazes me how God used this tiny little start to build up his church and kingdom on earth. This day leads us back to the roots of Christian Endeavour. Young people started the revolution of love. Let us pray, that we might catch the vision and passion of the beginning when young people came together praying for the world. Let us pray for the birth of many more and new CE societies all over the earth.
Please pray especially for CE in Asia
- general: for Christians in India, Middle East, Central Asia who suffer persecution Lebanon/Syria: for building of leaders, as many Christians emigrate from the area. For encouragement to continue the work and life of Christians despite of their minority situation.
- India: for those who are under pressure because of persecution, for a better leadership program, for at least one fulltime secretary to visit and train endeavourers. For unifying programs, because the country has so many cultures, languages and development stages.
- Nepal: for coping with life in difficult economical and political situation, for their reach out activities
- Myanmar: for the political situation they are living in. We thank God for all the contributions and blessings through CE for development of church and society.
- Korea: for more activities which involve and train young people, We thank God for the mission projects which they finance every year.
- Japan: for vision and strategy for bible based for and with young people.
CE Birthday Party on Radio
The German Christian radio station ERF has a youth program on the internet called ?Crosschannel.? Every first Tuesday of the month the German CE has a Radio Show running (CE Talk & Music). On the 2nd February 2010, we?ll have a special birthday party on air, and you can join it live everywhere on earth. This radio program starts at 7p.m. (German Time) and ends at 9 p.m. ? You can just listen to the program in English or you can even send e-mail greetings to the studio (firstname.lastname@example.org). So be our guest when we celebrate the 129th CE birthday on the internet www.crosschannel.de.
?As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, ?This is a remote place, and it`s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.? Jesus replied, ?They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.? ?We have only five loaves of bread and two fish, ? they answered.?
Have a short look into the faces of Peter & Co., when Jesus asked them to give food to the crowd of five thousand. ?Us? We only have little. Enough to feed ourselves but not enough for so many.? In CE, we may have similar thoughts some times. There are so many people to feed, and we are only a few with little to give. But Jesus asks us to give, and he knows the full potential of God?s possibilities. Give what you are and have into God`s kingdom, and let HIM feed the people. Don`t be afraid because you are only a small CE group in a big town, but believe that God can do marvelous things out of nothing. Let us pray that we may give what we are and have to build God`s kingdom and feed the people. Don`t be discouraged because the God our King is with you.
Please pray especially for CE in South America:
- Mexico : for smooth collaboration of CE and their Presbyterian Church. For more unity among the Mexican Esforzadores
- Guatemala: For wisdom for the very young leaders.
- Peru: For wisdom for the leaders who are almost all laypeople to decide on the best programs for the Union which combines groups of very different economic and educational standard in a vast country with difficult transportation.
?Praise the Lord, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul. And forget not all his benefits ? who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle?s.?
Praise the Lord. Unfortunately, I?m very good in forgetting names, dates, things, and the benefits of God. I?m very often blind for the wonders of his creation. I rush through my life without seeing the mountains, trees, lakes and all the other wonders HE made. Similarly, I often read my bible, pushing myself through the verses without really listening to God?s Word. So often I forget the blessings of God in all the CE history and presence. The Psalm reminds me not to forget the amazing wonders of God?s creation, his love and forgiveness, his healing and feeding of my soul. Let us pray, that we might not forget His blessings and gifts in our personal and CE lives.
Please pray especially for CE North America:
- Canada: for a new start with young people groups; for encouragement of the few old endeavourers
- USA: for the various projects of CEI to reach out to churches via internet to start CE;
- for Texas CE Union and New York CE Union (Growth, successful meetings and projects)
- For CE Midatlantic ? they are grateful for the leadership of Dr. Dave Coryell
- Cayman Islands: For a strategy to get the youth back into the CE societies.
?Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, ?I gave birth to him in pain.? Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ?Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.? And God granted his request.?
1 Chronicles 4:9-10
We don?t know exactly the reason for the name ?Jabez,? but obviously, his mother felt special pain at his birth. It must be terrible to have such a name; just imagine the other kids calling him ?pain?. But Jabez did the best he could. He turned to God who made him and prayed for a good life and that God may enlarge his territory. He asked to go beyond his limits and walls. I don`t know what your personal history is or what your name means, but I do know that God can change everything and that he can enlarge and enrich your life. The ?pain? is not the end, often it?s the beginning of prayer and a living relationship with God. Let us pray that by God`s grace the CE movement will enlarge His territory and reach out for so many young people in pain and loneliness.
Please pray especially for CE in Europe
- Great Britain and Ireland: We thank God for new CE societies in Ireland and Scotland, we pray for good relations between the generations in CE and for programs that are relevant for todays youth.
- Netherlands: We thank God for 100 years of CE in the Netherlands, we pray for ideas how to relaunch CE
- Germany: We thank God for a stable structure of the work, successful evangelistic programs with local CE societies, for dedicated secretaries and lay leaders. We pray for the many honorary leaders and their tasks.
- Hungary: for a honorary travelling secretary with sufficient time for the work and for many new contacts during the summer camps.
- Romania: for successful summer camps, for the literature they produce, for the programs they run for families, children and youth in need.
- Ukraine: for their life in a difficult economical situation and for their leaders of the union and the local societies.
- Bulgaria: for the few friends who try to start CE in Bulgaria.
- Austria: We thank for the second CE society just founded in Austria. Please pray for their growth in Christ.
?Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.?
David sinned. He did what he wanted to do and turned away from God?s will. Fortunately, he had someone showing his he truth of his life, and he turned back to God in prayer. He asked for forgiveness and a new, pure heart. He is longing to be in His presence, rejoicing about His salvation. The bible passage for today asks: Where is your heart? Is it beating for God and his will? Are you longing to walk in the presence of the Lord? Are you living in the joy of His salvation? God is searching for your heart and passion to strengthen your faith. ?For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.? (2 Chronicles16:9). The best we can give to God is our heart, fully committed to his ways. Let us pray for forgiveness for our sins, and let us ask him for a new, pure heart that fully belongs to God.
Please pray especially:
- for the board and board members of the World Christian Endeavour Union.
- for the WCEU-Conference in Peru 3rd ? 7th August 2010
- for the annual meetings of the National Unions
?While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, ?This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to Him!? When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. ?Get up,? he said. ?Don`t be afraid.? When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.?
This is an amazing passage and a strong confirmation for Jesus and his disciples that he is the Son of God; he?s the one voice we have to hear and obey. There are so many different voices in our life and they all want our full attention, but there is only one voice, only one shepherd leading our life. You may know the story of the Native American who surprisingly heard a cricket walking through the noisy streets of Manhattan. His friend couldn?t believe it, but then the man showed him the cricket beneath the branches in a small bush. And the Native American said, ?It all depends on what you are listening for.? Saying that he threw a few coins and dropped them on the sidewalk. And then, with the noise of the crowded street still blaring in their ears, they noticed every head within twenty feet turn and look to see if the money that tinkled on the pavement was theirs.
What about your ears? To whom or what are you listening? Can you still hear God?s calling in your noisy day-to-day life? Maybe it?s time for Jesus touching you again and saying, ?Get up! Don?t be afraid?. And you will look up again and see nothing else except Jesus. He is the Son of God.
Please pray especially:
- for the mission societies reaching out for those who never heard of Jesus, the Son of God
- for young people coming to the CE Groups listening to the message of God
- for the governments of our nations: for love, wisdom and the freedom of faith